Your Branch Needs You!
LONDON FREELANCE Branch is run by working freelances, for working freelances. That means that every year we need volunteers to help run the branch. You can nominate yourself at the January meeting for any of the branch posts.
The Committee meets on the Mondays following Branch meetings, from 18:30 to 20:30 sharp.
- chair branch and branch committee meetings in accordance with standing orders
- liaise with committee members as and when necessary
- act as spokesperson for the branch in dealings with NUJ headquarters and officers, and in any dealings with the press
- lead the branch delegation at annual delegate meeting
- write the annual report
Vice-chair: stand in for the chair, when needed
- write and distribute agenda and minutes for branch and committee meetings, book rooms
- maintain the domestic affairs of the branch in some semblance of order
- liaise with NUJ headquarters over issues including delegate meetings, elections to union bodies
Membership secretary & new members' reps:
- liaise with the union's membership department over applications
- present list of applicants at Branch meetings
- welcome new members into membership
- sign forms
- organise occasional briefing/networking meetings for new members
- send out claim forms to full members who have paid their subs for at least one year and are ill
- sign the claim forms if they come back accompanied by a medical certificate. Each week has to be signed for after it has happened
- chivvy the NUJ finance department over payment if necessary
- assess new Provident Fund claims (widows and orphans) and Members in Need Fund claims (living members)
Treasurer: look after branch finances, including:
- advising on balances;
- submitting accounts to HQ;
- scrutinising invoices and arranging for bills to be paid
Editor of the Freelance:
- plan mailing dates;
- book into printers;
- plan copy in conjunction with branch committee, freelance organiser;
- commission (for free) or write copy;
- sub, layout, panic over illustrations;
- check pages with representative of committee;
- take to printers;
- post to website;
Assistant Editor: sleuth out better stories, learn the technical ropes.
Training officer: co-ordinate any training the branch organises
Equality officer: advise branch on promoting equal opportunities for journalists
Chapel liaison officer: A new post to maintain contact with NUJ groups in workplaces and encourage participation by freelance representatives.Negotiations officer: Support negotiations and help freelance groups to organise.
Members without portfolio: take on jobs as they arise... prepare for promotion to the things Above
DM Delegation: (9 places) vote according to mandates where given by Branch, otherwise decide collective position among the delegation. Hangover not compulsory. (DM = Delegate meeting, the Union's conference, every two years.)